Sunday, April 9, 2017

9 April 2017 - Bread Making


One of my foals taken many years ago in my barn in the winter sunlight

I made a discovery at the local Charity shop (where you can buy second hand clothing, toys, books, videos, kitchen items and many other things donated), a Bread making machine.  it cost a whopping $5!!!!  Considering that you can pay hundreds for one today it was a steal.  It is an old machine but in very good condition.

In my quest to eradicate preservatives, high fructose corn syrup (found in many foods and a carcinogenic ie can cause cancer) and chemicals I decided to give it a go to bake my own bread.  I used to do it by hand many years ago while I was still in Zimbabwe (35 years ago!!!).  I have to say this machine is amazing.  You put the ingredients in and it does the rest and 3 hours later you have a wonderful baked loaf of bread.

So far I have baked Cinnamon Raisin Bread, White Bread and Whole Wheat Bread and all are delicious.  Today I used the dough cycle with the white bread recipe, which stops after the first rise so that you can remove it and make your buns or bread rolls and bake them in a conventional oven.  It worked a treat and I froze a few unrisen rolls to thaw, rise and bake later.  I used a small Toaster Oven, which is an energy saver in itself and I can cook smaller quantities at a time.

I also baked a whole wheat loaf today, the only adjustment I have found in this recipe is that it needs a few tablespoons more water than the recipe calls for.

I will share the basic white bread recipe later.

Hoping to post at least once a week, summer is an incredibly busy time with my vegetable garden
and baling hay on top of the usual activities.  I will share more on the veggie garden soon and do some photos of everything as I do it.

No comments:

9 April 2017 - Bread Making

One of my foals taken many years ago in my barn in the winter sunlight I made a discovery at the local Charity shop (where you can buy se...