Tuesday, March 28, 2017

28 March 2017 - Discovering Ingredients - TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein)


Gee (registered name Geared) my 15 year old 16.2 hh TB mare
She rules the herd!!!

The road to my new lifestyle has been a long and time consuming journey.

One of the first items that I learned about was "beef" crumbles which is a soy (for the most part) product in crumble form which can be used to replace ground beef (minced beef for those in UK and SA).  There are many ready made ones on the market, Morning Star (which I avoid as they are a Kellogg owned company and not GMO Free), Boca, Litelife, Gardein, St Yves, Quorn (this is the one non soy crumble which I use a LOT and is a UK imported product) and more.  I have mostly used the Boca and Quorn crumbles.  Meat replacers have come a long way in the past 15 years, they are awesome.

In my quest I also learned about TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) which is like the crumbles but with no added flavors etc. and in dry form, so whatever you put them in they take the flavor of.  .   My choice for this product is from Bob's Red Mill.  This is an amazing company, it is employee owned, ALL of their products are GMO Free and some of them are organic (they are labeled when they are) which means no chemical fertilizers or pesticides are used on that product.  I find it at various supermarkets like Meijers, Marsh or the local health food store, here in Indiana or you can order it online at the link provided above.  It is not expensive and goes a long way.

There are a lot of sources of information on how much protein a person needs in their diet.  This is one of the cliches that meat eaters use ... if you don't eat meat how do you expect get your daily protein? ....  Well there are many sources of protein, beans,, nuts, soy to name a few, all of which are cruelty free and don't involve animals being killed.  Here is a link that states we need about 42g of protein a day, but most of us, whether vegetarian or not, get way more than that in our daily diets so this is not a problem

One of the dishes that we love here in Indiana, especially in the winter months, is Chilli.  This can be made as spicy as you like, I like it on the milder side and here is the recipe that I have adapted from various sources and is cooked in a slow cooker or crockpot.  The beans and the soy make it full of protein.  Serve it with crackers and grated vegetarian cheese on top.  I use Townhouse Original crackers ( a researching a vegan version that I can make myself) and Daiya cheese shreds, cheddar flavor to give you a few ideas.

VEGETARIAN CROCKPOT CHILI
Prep time : 15 mins
Cook time: 8 hours

Ingredients :
1 cup dry TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein)
1 Onion chopped
2 (14oz) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
15oz can tomato sauce
1-2 Tbsp chilli powder (this is a mild version if you like it hot add more)
1.5 tsp ground cumin
2 (15oz) cans red kidney or pinto beans, undrained
1  (15oz) can tomato juice
1-2 cloves finely chopped garlic
1 medium red sweet bell pepper chopped

Preparation :
Combine all ingredients in 3-4 quart slow cooker.  Stir well.  Cover and cook on high for one or two hours and then low for 6 or 7 hours (total cook time 8 hours)

That's it for today.  Let me know if you try this and what your think.  Thanks.

No comments:

9 April 2017 - Bread Making

One of my foals taken many years ago in my barn in the winter sunlight I made a discovery at the local Charity shop (where you can buy se...