Sunday, January 14, 2007

14 January 2007




I have just had the most apalling day, rain, mud and having to slog through it to get the stalls cleaned and dump the resultant "manure". It is almost impossible to push the wheelbarrow out of the barns the mud is so bad. Had to put planks down so that I could wheel them out and dump the contents away from the barn, will worry about moving it later when it freezes and I can get a loader in.

The cold should start to move in tomorrow, and the temps will drop below freezing, I can't wait LOL. So forgive me guys I havent picked up my camera today but i needed something bright and cheery to post to cheer me up so found two flower pictures I took a while back.

The one is the blossom on the white potato plant, I never knew what they looked like til I grew some a few years back and they are quite amazing little flowers, about 1cm in diameter.

The second one is a close up of the milkweek plant flower. This plant is the diet of the Monarch butterfly lava and because of its bitter flavor it makes the caterpillars and butterflies unappetising to predators, so if you see one of these plants dont dig it out remember the monarch butterflies, without them they wont survive. If anyone is interested I can post a few more photos of all the stages of the plant and butterfly. The only one I dont have is the pupa stage.

So that is my story for the day, hope you all had a great one. I will catch up on everyone else's blogs tomorrow, I am pooped LOL.




6 comments:

Karen said...

Wow, both beautiful photos. We don't have milkweed in Newfoundland (and the only monarchs we get are those that fly or are blown here from the mainland).

Unknown said...

I will have to study how to make such great looking macros. Or at least close to it :) The story of the milkweed is interesting. If it scares other insects, I'm willing to plant it on my balcony :)

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

LOL Rennie

No it doesnt scare the other insects, it has a very bitter taste so when the caterpillars eat it they take on the bitter taste and then when the butterflies come out they also have the bitter taste so they arent so appetising to the predators. The caterpillar is a black yellow and white striped worm which is quite colorful. The butterfly is orange and black, I'll post shots of them too and of the plant itself.

Kaycee said...

Lori, these photos are so well done! The details are so sharp and amazing! (I also admire your horse photos.)

I hope that you didn't get too much freezing rain there. We are getting freezing rain right now here in Central New York State. I hope that we don't have power outages.

talj said...

Both very beautiful images!! :o) Hope the cold doesn't hit you too bad! :o)

Elizabeth Abbott said...

Absolutely LOVE the milkweed close-up! I had no idea it was such a beautiful plant!! I may have to see if I can get some of that going in my backyard... :-)

9 April 2017 - Bread Making

One of my foals taken many years ago in my barn in the winter sunlight I made a discovery at the local Charity shop (where you can buy se...