Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Siblings on The Paint Horse Farm

Woke up to 6 degrees F this morning and had a high of about 12, tonight it is expected to drop to -6F so I am dreading it.

Part One of my story

Part Two of my story

This is the oldest of the four paint horse foals, DB April Dawn. She had been born on 1st April and was two and a half months old when I arrived, a very classy, pretty filly who has beautiful movement.



And here is Christine again with her momma "Blueyed Kooter", yeah I know it is a strange name but I will get into it's origins later LOL, they try to say she was named after the guy, Kooter, on The Dukes of Hazard, but I know better LOL. This was another very classy beautiful filly who moved like a dream. She unfortunately was a solid or breeding stock paint horse as she didnt have enough white in the right places to qualify her for the regular paint horse registry. Unfortunately just because your paint horse mare and stallion have lots of white spots doesnt guarantee that you will get a baby with lots of white spots too, it is a bit like roulette LOL. When you get into more of the genetics I will explain that there is one way to guarantee getting spots, but that is all for later.

Last but not least this is Paula, DB Paula Leusman. You can't really see her spots here but she has them on her chest and on her left side as well as plenty of white on her face. She has the most beautiful eye. Again I will post a shot of that at a later date, a nice closeup of her eye with it's white eyelashes!! All of these baby paint horses had been exposed to very little handling until I came into their lives so I had to learn quick and as nervous as I was, I was amazed at how good they were. When I was expecting to be dragged off into the sunset by a wild unhandled baby horse, it didnt happen and they learned and absorbed everything like little sponges.


When I said that the first winter here was a huge shock to my system I meant it. I have very few pictures of me with my horses and this is one of the first ones that I have of me and Lori during our first winter. Larry had just bought me these wonderful insulated overalls which I would never survive without!!! They are amazingly warm, just wish I could find something for my hands that are as good but that I can still undo latches and chains with, without having to take them off!!! This was one of the first times that I had actually put a halter on any of the foals and taken them out of the barn on a lead rope. She was so good. This picture and the next were taken by one of our home health aides with a very cheap digital camera so you can see the quality of the shots are not good, but I treasure them.


This is my "Farmer Brown" photo, pitch fork in hand, ready for action!! Again taken with the cheapie camera but definitely had to have this for the record LOL.


That is about it for today folks. To be continued tomorrow ......

Have a great weekend. Thanks again Abraham and MiKael for all of your input and help here, you have both been a godsend to me. (((Hugs))))

Lori

xx

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Lori, I can see why you treasure those images! The overalls certainly look very warm and they are lovely shots of you! I am enjoying learning about each of your horses and a little more about you, even in just the last few years you have done so much!!

Hope you and Larry have a nice Sunday {{{HUGS}}}

CG said...

I'm really enjoying your story. It's interesting to hear about the breed. You look very practical in your cosy overalls!! My favourite photo is the one of you with the beautiful foal.

I must try to get some pics of me with the horses at the stabes, so i can remember my times with RDA.

Anonymous said...

Is that a "pitch" fork or a manure fork? I don't remember, maybe Larry does. A "hay" fork has three tines and a pitch fork has four and a manure fork has five. I think. I know manure needs the extra two tines to keep the stuff on the fork. LOL

I always like hay forks because they were or are so slim and graceful.

Nice photos. I like the photos of you in your born overalls and cap and "fork" as well as the ones of the foals. The grass is sure green in the one photo.

We are at 2 degrees here at 8:00 a.m. but it is supposed to get colder than that. Hang in there and stay warm.

John Roberts said...

I love the photos of the young ones kicking up their heels. They look so playful!

9 April 2017 - Bread Making

One of my foals taken many years ago in my barn in the winter sunlight I made a discovery at the local Charity shop (where you can buy se...