Thursday, September 18, 2008

Thursday 18 September 2008


Another quickie tonight (although I always seem to get long winded LOL). The picture today is from the campfire at the trail riding camp I went on over Labor Day weekend. They had this cauldron hanging over the fire filled with water and corn which was delicious!!! It was already getting quite dark but I loved the effect of the steam and the flames so snapped off a few frames.
My brother has had to go back to Johannesburg because of work commitments, but my Dad is safely installed in a nursing facility and I am going to be getting a daily update from my brother as he hears what is happening.

The move yesterday was traumatic for Dad and they have finally started giving him pain medication and tranquilisers. I am praying that it will be quick now, I watched my Mom go through months of extreme pain and I dont want him to have to endure the same. He is a little bit more aware of what is going on around him but as I have said before, it is just a waiting game and I hope that he goes as peacefully as possible. I just wish I could be there.

I have been in contact with my estranged daughter in England and we have made the first move towards what I am hoping can be a reconciliation between the two of us. At least she is talking to me!!!! We were brought up to be tough and to be survivors in Africa during the war times, had to face things that people here can't imagine at very young ages so I know she has been able to keep herself on top of things, she is tough. She is trying to get Emergency Travel Documents to go and see Dad but her passport is still with the Home Affairs in England for her Naturalisation application and we don't know if we will be able to get it back in time.

Annette it is great to see you posting, now we need you to start your own blog, recording your journey with Dreamer. I am so glad that you liked him so well, he couldnt have gone to a better home and I am looking forward to seeing the two of you competing next year, I think you may kick some butt LOL. He is going to be one of those horses that bulks up in his third or fourth year and then they become tanks and I am sure the supplements you are giving him will help him on his way. He is a lucky boy.

Gecko thanks for all your messages. There is no hope of a recovery for my Dad, he is too far along and the cancer has spread to his brain which is why he is having his lucid and comatose type states, with the pressure on his brain. It has been quite quick and as far as I know he has had no other problems until this hit last week. They are unsure where the cancer started but wherever it did it wasnt showing itself until it was this far along.

Lisa welcome back girl!!! Loved your photos, you have been a busy bee!!!!

Have a great Friday everyone, hopefully I will have more news tomorrow. I am planning on taking Cayenne trail riding on Saturday or Sunday but it will depend on what else transpires before then. ((((Hugs))))

Lori
xx

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do hope (and pray) that you stopped to look at this photo you posted. It just pops. I really like it. The fire. The pot. The whole thing.

The story under the photo is not so pleasant but there are bits of news that are good to read. You and your daughter are talking and I didn't even know you had a daughter. LOL

Was sorry to learn about your dad.

Have fun riding Cayenne.

Annette said...

Lori, Not enough of a computer guru to figure out how to do a blog, I would not mind if I could figure it out. Sorry about your dad, I also went through it with my mom, and there is nothing that makes you feel more hopeless, as you can do nothing but pray. Those are times I am glad I have my 4 legged buddies, as they listen well, and don't tell secrets! I have someone coming this week-end to look at a half arab gelding I have, hopefully that will be one down. Only put $800 on him, and he is spotted, but with todays economic conditions, just getting them gone is more important that a big price if they get a good home. I gave a nice black and white mare away last week. She was 18 years old, and I needed room in the barn before winter and I have to bring horses in, I am sure you know the senario. Have fun this weekend.

Annette

Annette said...

Lori, Not enough of a computer guru to figure out how to do a blog, I would not mind if I could figure it out. Sorry about your dad, I also went through it with my mom, and there is nothing that makes you feel more hopeless, as you can do nothing but pray. Those are times I am glad I have my 4 legged buddies, as they listen well, and don't tell secrets! I have someone coming this week-end to look at a half arab gelding I have, hopefully that will be one down. Only put $800 on him, and he is spotted, but with todays economic conditions, just getting them gone is more important that a big price if they get a good home. I gave a nice black and white mare away last week. She was 18 years old, and I needed room in the barn before winter and I have to bring horses in, I am sure you know the senario. Have fun this weekend.

Annette

CG said...

That's good news about your daughter, Lori.

raccoonlover1963/Lisa Myers said...

Hey Lori. Love the shot of the cauldron. Sorry that the news about your father is not good, but it is good that you are once again speaking to your daughter. Mom is feeling better. She is going to her 50 year high school reunion tonight. After she got 2 pints of blood in the hospital a couple of weeks ago, she seems to have a little more strength. She is able to get up her house steps a little easier.
TTYL
Lisa

Donna said...

I've missed your pictures and your words. I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. Take care of yourself.

9 April 2017 - Bread Making

One of my foals taken many years ago in my barn in the winter sunlight I made a discovery at the local Charity shop (where you can buy se...