Monday, October 27, 2008

Monday 27th October 2008

It has been 10 days!!!! I wish I could update you here on everything but I just can't at the moment, not enough time. I just spent two days driving over to Iowa to collect our mares and the one palomino baby and we ended up coming back with two other weanlings as well. 12 hours drive each way and we had headwind going there but on Sunday the gusts had got up to 40 - 50mph but were fortunately behind us but nonetheless it was a hairy trip with 5 horses in the trailer. Fortunately the friend who was with me (we used their truck and anothere friend's horse trailer) drives 18 wheeler trucks for a living so she is used to the towing and weather and unfortunately ended up doing nearly all of the driving, but it was nice to just chat and relax for 2 days but I am very tired today so am trying to catch up

We first saw the horses on Sunday morning at sunrise as we only got there at about 11.30 at night, and when I first went out the sun was rising on the other side of the trees, the wind was howling and it was FREEZING. I liked the view so shot a few frames then went on over to see our horses.

This was my first view of my new palomino filly, I have always wanted a palomino and now I have her. She is very skittish as she has never been handled until they brought her in from the big pasture they lived in last week. I didnt get any more pics done today because it has been hectic and I want her to settle a bit before I get them out for some exercise which I will try to do tomorrow. I didnt want to use flash in the barn because she really is touchy and scared.
This evening I was sitting by the stable watching her and talking to her while she was eating her hay with her momma and her name came to me immediately. Although I dont know what type of personality she has yet I am going to call her CK Golden Sunrise (if that name hasnt already been used). Her daddy is named CK Sun, and I saw that beautiful sunrise a few minutes before I saw her for the first time. Hopefully when she loses her baby and winter hair she will have the beautiful golden color that her daddy is with the white mane and tail so that is where I took the Golden from in her name. I tried to work mommas name in there somewhere but just couldnt find a fit and can only have 21 characters max. Her momma is Blueyed Kooter, larry says blue eyed speaks for itself because she has blue eyes and Kooter comes from the character on the Dukes of Hazard (I am not so sure about that LOL).

It has been pretty wet there and they were a bit muddy. The baby is 5 months old now, I normally wean at 3 months so her mother is taking a bit of strain with continuing to feed her which is why she looks a bit thin. I will let her settle in for a while before I wean her at least until I can handle her a bit in the stable at least. Not a great pic of her but the only one I have thus far, more to come.

So that is only one of the things I have been up to, it is really late already and I need to get some sleep because I feel like a zombie. I will give another update tomorrow I promise!!!!!

Abraham I am sorry I missed your birthday on Saturday, hope you had a good one.

((((Hugs))))
Lori





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you again. Sounds like you have been really busy with the new additions. What a neat new mare and a really neat name to go with her.

Anonymous said...

Yep...thanks for the birthday wishes. I like this photo of the new horse and her momma.

Rising Rainbow said...

Wow, lots of stuff going on. I'm expecting an email to catch me up! I can't believe how out of touch we are.

9 April 2017 - Bread Making

One of my foals taken many years ago in my barn in the winter sunlight I made a discovery at the local Charity shop (where you can buy se...