Monday, November 3, 2008

Monday 3 November 2008 - Our Wild Mustangs


Today I am devoting my post to the Wild Mustangs of the American West. This has become a very controversial subject and one that I am also passionate about although I have not seen them for myself.

The post today is made in the hope that it will educate some of us as to exactly what is happening to these beautiful animals, it is not what we are being led to believe is happening. One of my fellow photographers, Carol Walker, has been photographing these herds for many years and if you visit her website you can find all the information that you need to see just what a tragic and urgent situation this is. She published a book and calendar this year with photos of all the herds she has followed and come to know intimately and tells what is happening to them. She is offering the book and calendar together at a special price for the holidays and I hope that you will each consider purchasing one of them because part of the proceeds go back to helping these horses and if their story doesnt bring tears to your eyes I will be surprised. I am going to post a few links to the book and calendar which is for purchase and to photographs that she took recently during a "round-up" by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). I have to warn you that these images are VERY disturbing and the fact that she and her colleagues had no option but to sit on the sidelines and record the events as they unfolded must have been very painful for them.

I am also posting a link to a second photographer, Cyndie Planck, who I am associated with who had the wonderful opportunity of photographing wild horses in a different area to the ones that Carol covers but these animals are suffering a similar fate and again, take a look at the calendar, it would make a wonderful Xmas gift and also shows the beauty surrounding these animals.

Carol Walker:
http://www.wildhoofbeats.com/


Warning the following link has some disturbing images



Some other links but I am sure with a bit of research you will find many that actually show what is actually happening is not what we are hearing.




Cyndie Planck:

If you click on the July entries, you will find photos and stories of Cyndie's trip. Be sure to view all the entries for July as there are a quite a few relating to the Mustangs and the photos are beautiful


This is her business website
http://www.cyndieplanck.com/

and you can purchase a lovely calendar here:
http://cyndieplanckphotography.blogspot.com/2008/08/now-available.html

All of this goes hand in hand with the closing of the horse slaughter houses in the USA and the continued battle against abuse that horses going to slaughter have to endure and these mustangs are mostly going to end up in Mexico and Canada for processing. This is a whole nother story. I will get into that next.

I am sorry this is such a morbid post, but if I can educate even one person on what is happening it will be worth it. There are many people who are involved in the horse industry that dont know this is happening let alone people out of the horse industry.

(((((Hugs))))))

Lori
xx

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Election day. I hope you voted.

photogchic said...

You just feel so helpless when you see this stuff. I wish they would work on some sort of birth control plan for the Mustangs...it is my only thoughts for how to change this.

Wingnut said...

Hi Lori,

I could go on forever about this as you well know. Thank you so much for the kind words about me and the links to my site. I am currently working on proceeds of my calender going toward helping the wild horses also. There will be art images coming available soon as well.

And hey, I launched a new site today as well, www.cyndieplanckphotography.com

Thanks Lori, you are a sweetheart!

Anonymous said...

Lori,

Thanks for your recent visits and comments. I find all of them helpful.

I am fascinated with this post and I am looking forward to learning more. I believe there are supposed to be some wild horses in the Buffalo River area of Arkansas. I will have to do some research on that one. If there are it would be worth a visit this winter although I probably don't have the equipment to photograph them.

Take care Lori and again thanks for your visits.

Hope you all are doing well.

Mike

carmilevy said...

My heart breaks when I see scenes like these. You wish you could reach through the screen and comfort them, protect them from a fate not of their own making.

I'm glad you shared these resources, Lori. You're right: it's an important issue, and one that has implications well beyond just this one range.

9 April 2017 - Bread Making

One of my foals taken many years ago in my barn in the winter sunlight I made a discovery at the local Charity shop (where you can buy se...