Tuesday, January 23, 2007

23 January 2007


I have had a really busy day again so am going to have to cheat and put in a previously shot picture of our four year old stud colt. We have one baby on the ground from him, born last year and hopefully one more this year and are going to breed four mares to him this year for next year's crop. He has such a love of life this colt and will amuse himself for hours, running and playing with whatever he can find. I nearly lost him two years ago (he was 20 months old) when I found him hanging by his one front leg which had slid between two panels of the roundpen. He had obviously got his legs over the top and one had slid into the gap and couldnt come all the way through and he had lost his balance. Fortunately he was really calm (which I cant say I was, I was hysterical) until we got some friends to come and release the panels and get his leg out. We had had 8 inches of snow the day before and I couldnt pull the pins out of the panels myself because they were frozen and I was more concerned with keeping him calm. The injury was really bad and the vet really wanted to put him down immediately. He told me recently that the only reason that he didnt was because he knew I would be diligent and look after the wound until it had healed, most people here wouldnt and the horse would probably die of infection. I washed and dressed that leg every day right through the coldest winter we have had since I have been here (1st morning after the accident it was -8 F and the next day Christmas morning -6 F) for 4 months until it had healed. I kept a photo record of the progress, taking a picture every week from all four sides as the cut went nearly all around the fetlock joint (narrow part just above the hoof). I really bonded with him too because even though he was a stallion he was a dream to handle, just stood and let me do what I had to with no problems. So far he has not taken a lame step so time will tell if the leg will hold up to riding, if not he will become my lawn ornament because I wont part with him because I know he will be sold to places I dont want to even think about.


This is a picture of him making a game out of a grain bag. I have a whole series of him pouncing on it, shaking it, throwing it etc. but I liked this one. His personality has carried over to his son who is one of the most laid back colts that I have ever bred. He will do anything calmly and without hesitation.


So that is my little story of the day. This stallions barn name is Blue because of his blue eyes, he has been in many DPC challenges so some of you may recognise him.


Hope you all had a great day.


Lori

11 comments:

Julie Blair said...

Lori: I think that is an amazing story....thanks for sharing. I love Blue. You can see he is special and showing his playful side made me laugh. He seems to have a puppy mentality in that he likes to play. Thanks for sharing such a great story and picture. Would love to see more!!

Julie

admin said...

Just love the horsies, but you are making me want some again :)

Anna Ridley said...

What a story.... just amazing. So glad he's healed and is looking well. I love the photo of Blue showing his mischievous side - so playful!

CG said...

I really enjoyed the story of Blue. It's lovely to see him so full of life after hearing his traumatic history.

evanhuntphoto.com said...

looks like you like horses!

Elaine said...

What a fun shot! Glad he made it through his ordeal.

Unknown said...

I had no idea horses can play like that. The horse with blue eyes was always amaizing to me. I thought it was photoshoped :)

Rising Rainbow said...

Lori: I see we are both dedicated to our animals! That is cool. Blue is lucky to have such a caring owner. Kudos for all your hard work.
I love that your pics show the side of the horses most people never get to see. They think they're just boring things standing in the field. Your pics capture their personalities and show people why we horse people love them like we do.

talj said...

Another beautiful image Lori! Lovely composition and such a fun feel to it. What a great story too! :o)

Michael P. Randazzo said...

I want to live by you and take pictures of your horses everyday.

Kaycee said...

What a wonderful story, Lori! I am happy to hear that Blue is doing much better.

9 April 2017 - Bread Making

One of my foals taken many years ago in my barn in the winter sunlight I made a discovery at the local Charity shop (where you can buy se...